Chiang Mai Climate & Temperature
- Chiang Mai, Thailand is at 18°46'N, 98°58'E, 314 m (1030 ft). See map.
- Chiang Mai has a tropical wet and dry/ savanna climate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Aw) with a pronounced dry season in the low-sun months , no cold season, wet season is in the high-sun months.
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Chiang Mai is situated in or near the subtropical moist forest biome.
- The mean temperature is 25.4 degrees Celsius (77.7 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 8.2 °C (14.8°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype barely hyperoceanic.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1185 mm (46.7 inches) which is equivalent to 1185 Litres/m² (29.07 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2684 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Chiang Mai you would pop up nearest to the climate station at San Juan De Marcona, Peru where you would find a Subtropical desert climate (Warm temperate desert biome).
Chiang Mai Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Chiang Mai Climate Graph in Metric Units
Chiang Mai Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Chiang Mai, Thailand Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Kengtung, Myanmar - 289.3 kms (179.8 miles) NNE
- Chiang Rai, Thailand - 163.4 kms (101.5 miles) NE
- Nan/ Muang Nan, Thailand - 189 kms (117.4 miles) E
- Lampang, Thailand - 78.8 kms (49 miles) SE
- Phrae, Thailand - 144.8 kms (90 miles) ESE
- Uttaradit East, Thailand - 174.5 kms (108.4 miles) SE
- Loei, Thailand - 326.6 kms (203 miles) ESE
- Bhumibol Dam, Thailand - 169.8 kms (105.5 miles) S
- Tak, Thailand - 211 kms (131.1 miles) S
- Phitsanulok/ Sarit, Thailand - 259.5 kms (161.3 miles) SSE
- Phetchabun, Thailand - 347.9 kms (216.2 miles) SE